Teeth discoloration of Rabbit: Rabbit’s teeth are famous, and that makes them cute as well. Their teeth should be white shiny, and clean, but sometimes they get discoloration, which needs to be managed. Discoloration in rabbits’ teeth isn’t a healthy sign.
Rabbit’s teeth get black, yellow, and brown, and healthy rabbit teeth look white and shiny. Fresh food, grass, vegetable, hay, and plants are needed to make your rabbit’s teeth healthy. If your rabbit eats something colorful, it may discolor the rabbit’s teeth.
Rabbit’s healthy teeth
As rabbits have overgrowing teeth incisors, they are always visible on the face. Rabbits have 28 teeth, and rabbits have 12 teeth in the bottom and 16 on the top. As we know, four teeth of rabbits are overgrowing and most visible. The back teeth of rabbits are called “cheek teeth.” So it is essential to make their clean all the time, bright white healthy and shiny teeth makes right fresh and also smell nice.
Rabbit diet should be 90% of hay and grass. Rabbits require dental care and veterinary check for healthy teeth. Rabbit’s teeth can grow 12cm in the year their teeth grow because of a natural high fibred diet.
Rabbits are one of the cleanest animals, and they like to be clean. Clean teeth can make them happy and cheerful, and they feel fresh, having a good smell in their mouths.
Why do Rabbit teeth get yellow?
Rabbit’s teeth can get yellow if they eat correctly and ignore fiber. You have to check your rabbit while eating if it has hay and grass or not. Hay and silage make rabbit teeth keep bright and shiny white. When rabbits get older so their teeth are off-white.
Long and over-growing teeth also make rabbits’ teeth yellow. When teeth become old and growing, it yellows your rabbit’s teeth. If your rabbit is getting yellow teeth, maybe the rabbit is peeing on hay, and hay becomes yellow, and eating peed grass can make your rabbit’s teeth yellow.
Your rabbit might have some dental problems as rabbits hide their pain and discomfort from others. Try to figure out the dental problem that your rabbit is facing.
Why do Rabbit teeth get brown?
Brown teeth are regular for rabbits. If the teeth get a brown stain, it might be because of their natural habit of eating droppings, and if you see the root get brown so that it might be the infection, you should check it out. It is common among Rabbits, and rabbit teeth get brown by their droppings. Yes, rabbits eat their droppings for getting nutrition.
Rabbits eat cecotropes poop for getting nutrition, and it is normal for them. Cecotropes poop is dark black colored poop that makes rabbit’s teeth brown. Brown teeth stains are temporary if teeth get brown permanently, so you should visit your veterinary to check your rabbit’s teeth.
Why do Rabbit teeth get black?
Black teeth are a severe issue in rabbits. Rabbit black teeth can harm its gums and create such diseases. Rabbit’s teeth get black when they lose the enamel from the teeth. Maybe your rabbit gets infections in the gums and teeth.
Rabbit Black teeth shouldn’t be ignored. You have to take your rabbit to the veterinary as soon as possible. Black teeth always need to get removed. It is good to remove black teeth; otherwise, it can also infect other teeth.
Why does a Rabbit get teeth disease?
Rabbit’s unhealthy teeth can become causes of mouth disease and can make your rabbit sick. Rabbit’s teeth don’t require so much care. Usually, rabbits’ over-growth incisor teeth can stem disease.
Rabbit teeth disease can happen due to not getting enough fibrous food. As rabbits require approximately 80% hay and 10% grass, this should usually be fresh and clean. Sometimes rabbits get dental disease from birth, and any bad teeth injury can create illness. If bacteria enter your rabbit’s mouth, it may cause disease in the entire body as well.
Unhealthy teeth can cause significant mouth disease or any illness that can make rabbits stressed. Rabbits can get stressed by having unhealthy teeth, and if they don’t get treated, it can impact the internal body.
Lack of fibrous food in rabbits can grow rabbit teeth. A proper diet is needed for rabbits’ teeth. Over growing teeth can cause many problems and make rabbits stress and panic. Rabbit’s teeth grow if they don’t eat enough grass and hay, which contain fibers in their body. Rabbits overgrowing teeth need proper grooming, and you have to trim rabbit teeth gently. You can also take your rabbit to the veterinary if you feel that you can’t do it. Over-growing teeth can make rabbits weak. It will cause difficulty for the rabbit to eat enough food. Rabbits over growing make them so much disturbed. Rabbits always try to keep them clean and need to maintain grooming on time such as hair, teeth, nails everything should be maintained in rabbits. Long teeth also can make their gums dirty, and teeth start to discolor.
How can I check my Rabbit’s teeth?
Suppose you check your rabbit’s teeth so they might feel uneasy as they don’t have a habit of sharing their pain and illness. So check your rabbit’s teeth gently and softly, so they don’t get frightened, and if you hold their mouth with rough hands so they might feel discomfort and can bite. Check your rabbit’s teeth at least once a week to check your rabbit’s week.
You can check your rabbit’s teeth at home. Here are some steps to prevent-
- Make your rabbit comfortable around you.
- Pat, it softly until the rabbit doesn’t feel calm.
- Now take your hands near the rabbit’s mouth and make the rabbit comfortable from the touch.
- If your rabbit gets used to your touch and feels comforting, try to lift its upper lip hold it gently. Don’t make rabbit uncomforting. Don’t hold lower teeth; otherwise, your rabbit will get hurt and feel harmful. Only check rabbit’s teeth by upper lips.
- Check your rabbit’s upper incisors and see if they are clean and straight without having any stains on the teeth.
- Checking your rabbit is essential, but along with it, you need to check your rabbit’s gum. Gum should be pink, bright, and light red.
- If your rabbit’s gums get the shade of purple, so it is a big sign of gum disease.
- If your rabbit allows you to check more, check the bottom teeth as you check the upper one.
- If your rabbit isn’t allowed you to check so take their favorite treat in your hand and show them. You can pat on rabbits again and give them pleasure so the rabbit will trust you to check.
- Check teeth and gums both on the bottom side as well.
- Bottom teeth get mostly brown because of dropping stains, but you should check if it is stains or infection on their teeth root.
How can remove discoloration from Rabbits’ teeth?
For removing discoloration from the rabbit’s teeth, you have to give your rabbit hay. It will help your rabbit keep its teeth white and regrow your rabbit teeth. Check your rabbit hutch if they hide any food there. Remove droppings and food from their cabinet and only keep hay there. Hay should be the only diet until their teeth don’t get healthier back.
Suppose your rabbit doesn’t eat hay, so it might still feel pain in its teeth. The vet will prescribe and give and antibiotics to the rabbit to get relief from the medicines. Your rabbit needs to chew a lot of hay, and it can make the rabbit’s teeth healthier.
Symptoms of having the dental disease in Rabbits
Discoloring in rabbits isn’t enough. Rabbits also get dental disease, and it may cause their teeth problems. Having dental trouble can make them weak, and weakness will make them predator’s prey.
- Teeth grinding is the symptom of having the dental disease.
- Weakness: Having meals and hay can give them pain in their teeth, and lack of eating can make them weak.
- Changes in poop such as soft feces.
- A runny nose is also a symptom of having dental disease.
- Changes in behavior like being less active and lazy.
- Having tearful eyes
- Dropping and ignoring the food.
- Swelling in the whole mouth.
- Less grooming can cause teeth and gums problems.
- Having less craving for a meal.
- Wet chin and legs also are the symptoms of having dental diseases.
How to stop dental disease?
Rabbit’s dental disease can be treatable, but rabbit teeth can grow throughout life. To prevent dental problems in rabbits, require regular check-ups of teeth and gums if you want to stop your rabbit from any teeth disease such as discoloration or infection in the rabbit’s mouth.
You should give your rabbit hay and grass. Try to provide the rabbit with less amount of food. Chewing hay can help the rabbit to make its teeth bright shiny white. Groom your rabbit from time to time. Clean and healthy teeth make them feel fresh and happy. Keep checking your rabbit’s teeth; also be attentive to see the changes in their behavior. Rabbits always hide their pain.
Does only a pet Rabbit get discoloration of teeth?
Pet rabbits are under their owner’s eyes, but they have chances to get discoloration of teeth. Pet rabbits and wild rabbits also have chances to get a bruise. Pet rabbits get fed by the owner, so sometimes pet owner gives them the same food as they eat. Which can harm rabbit teeth because it contains sweet, fat doesn’t have enough fiber. Fibers in rabbit teeth are required.
Wild animals mostly eat hay and grass outside and are active with other rabbits. Wild rabbits get enough hay and silage, which makes their teeth healthier, and they chew constantly. Pet owner gives hay and grass, but they don’t figure out if it is enough or not. They provide the rabbit with a portion of food that makes them happy, but they don’t think it is suitable for their health. Some pet owners always take care of the rabbit and make the proper diet of their meal by the vet. Wild animals often get brown teeth discoloring stains.
What should I feed to my Rabbit?
Rabbit diet is not a simple task because rabbit’s teeth require a lot of care. Pet owners should know what diet they have to give to the rabbit.
- Pet owners should know the difference between hay and which hay is good to feed.
- There are two types of hay, feeding hay and bedding hay.
- Both hays are dry grass, but they are not similar in nutrition.
- Feeding is suitable for rabbits, and they are fresh, green, taste good, smell aromatic, and have a lot of nutrition.
- Bedding hay is a common dry one, and it is good to become homey feel but not good to nip. If rabbits eat is rarely, then it will be fine.
As a pet owner, you have to know which hay is good to feed your rabbit.
- Grass will help your rabbit to run and exercise.
- The rabbit should run and exercise on grass; it will help to keep their paw healthy.
- Rabbit would feel cheerful and warm to exercise in the spacious garden with healthy green grass.
Grass should be clean and fresh because rabbits also eat grass, and it needs to be new.
You should give your Rabbit healthy green plants, vegetables, grass, fresh fruits, and leaves, provide 5 to 6 fresh green vegetables and plants in a day. That can help to get enough miners and vitamins. Hay helps them to get enough amount of fiber. Try to give your rabbit fruit as a treat, not constantly. Don’t give your rabbit the food that you eat. It is not suitable for health, they might enjoy it, but you have to take care of it.
Green vegetables are healthy to feed your rabbits. You can provide them:
- Bell pepper
- Carrot tops
- Cauliflower and its leaves and stalks
- Spring greens
You can give more vegetables to your rabbit, and vegetables should be green leaves types. Those vegetables mentioned above are safe to give your rabbits, and these will help your rabbit get enough amounts of minerals, vitamins, and nutrition.
If you want to give your rabbit a treat, try to provide them with fresh fruits and vegetables. If you buy any pleasure from the shop for rabbits, it may contain high sugar and fat in it, which can harm your rabbit’s teeth.
Fruits that you can give your rabbits should make them exciting, and cheerful such as:
- Apple, without its seeds it is poisonous.
These fruits are enough to give your rabbit a treat. Whenever they do something good and appreciate so should reward them or treat.
“This article is all about teeth discoloration of rabbits, and we have cover rabbit’s teeth disease, symptoms, and healthy food for rabbits. If you find this article helpful and interesting let us know in comment section below, also if you have any query write it down as well, we will try to figure it out. Provide us a feedback along with it.